Deadline for submission has been extended to 6/28/19
The Ramapo Catskill Library System (RCLS) in Middletown, New York, is seeking an Executive Director. This is an opportunity to lead an innovative, collaborative, future-oriented library System in the Lower Hudson Valley, New York area. We seek a leader who believes in visible leadership, empowering others to act and serve with accountability and integrity; supports professional staff development through education, mentoring, etc.; actively listens to all stakeholders; understands the demands of the evolving nature of the modern library and has skills to foster continued growth that supports new innovation and diversity.
Top candidates’ experience should reflect our core values:
- Equitable access to all library services throughout our service area;
- Open and effective communication with all member libraries, staff and trustees;
- Providing high quality consolidated and cooperative services in the most cost-effective manner;
- Increasing awareness about the value and importance of library services through active advocacy;
- Promoting a work environment of innovative, proactive, empowered staff who encourage respect for and trust in each other.
RCLS is a diverse consortia of 47 independent public libraries. RCLS has a $4.9 million budget and a Full-Time staff of 25 working together to provide excellent service and value to member libraries and their patrons through current technologies, efficient resource sharing, collaboration, and shared expertise. The service area of RCLS encompasses four counties: Orange; Rockland; Sullivan; and southern Ulster. This service area covers 2,467 square miles with a population of 803,351.
The Executive Director, under the direction of the eleven-member Board of Trustees, has the overall responsibility for the general administration of System operations. This includes planning, directing, managing and overseeing the activities and operation of the System.
The Executive Director supervises and manages all RCLS staff, works with the Board, member libraries and their staffs, and any major stakeholders. Working with these groups, the Executive Director will facilitate the design of a strategic vision for the System which aligns its mission with member library and community needs and priorities.
Proven Skills and Abilities:
RCLS is looking for a candidate with a track record of vision, creativity and enthusiasm who wants to be part of an environment that is forward thinking. We seek a Director with demonstrated:
- Written communications skills;
- Persuasive public address skills;
- Political expertise at local, regional, state and national levels;
- Collaboration, consensus building and conflict resolution skills; and
- Experience in recruiting, building and mentoring a workforce.
Minimum qualifications include an ALA-accredited Master’s Degree in Library Science; ability to obtain and retain a New York State Public Librarian Certificate, and a minimum of eight (8) years professional experience with a minimum of two (2) years administrative experience preferably in a public library system environment. Management experience in government, business, higher education or non-profit enterprises will be considered.
- MBA or MPA Degree;
- Experience and skill in strategic planning and fiscal management;
- Demonstrated commitment to resource sharing and access to information in a member driven environment (familiarity with issues of consortia);
- Proven knowledge of library automation, telecommunications, and emerging technologies;
- Proven skill in vendor negotiation with the express purpose of lowering consortia costs without a degradation or loss of services;
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is required.
- Experience with diverse populations;
- Foreign/ASL language ability;
- Familiarity with legislative processes.
The hiring salary range is $130,000 - $140,000 (placement being dependent on experience and qualifications) with an attractive benefits package. A probationary period of six (6) months will be followed by an evaluation by the Board of Trustees.
RCLS is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to Affirmative Action and the treatment of all individuals with courtesy and respect. Women and Minority candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please attach resume, cover letter and at least three (3) written letters of recommendation on company letterhead and email in PDF format to RCLSSearchCommittee@rcls.org.
Via US Mail
Ramapo Catskill Library System
ATTN: Search Committee
619 Route 17M
Middletown, New York 10940-4395
Travel stipend for interviews will be considered for non Tri-State area candidates.
A full job description for the position may be accessed here: (Executive Director Jobs Description)
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer, as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Deadline for submission to be received at RCLS is: 6/28/19