LIBRARY DIRECTOR, Saugerties Public Library
The Saugerties Public Library seeks enthusiastic qualified applicants for the position of Library Director. This is a full-time position (40 hours per week) offering a competitive salary, health benefits, and enrollment in the New York State Local Retirement System. The Library Director shall be the executive and administrative officer of the library, acting on behalf of the Board and under it’s review and direction. The Library Director or his/her designee is the official spokesperson for the library.
The Library Director oversees all aspects of library administration and operations including library finances, information systems and technology, buildings and grounds maintenance, human resources, library programs, collection development, public relations, and community outreach.
The Saugerties Public Library is a vibrant community resource serving a population of 19,192 residents in the Town and Village of Saugerties, and is a member of the Mid-Hudson Library System. This is a civil service position and applicants must possess the minimum qualifications for Library Director 1 in order to apply.
- Plans and implements library programs for patrons of all ages.
- Develops the library budget in coordination with the Finance Committee.
- Prepares, distributes, and compiles all materials for board and committee meetings.
- Maintains all business, financial, and personnel records for the library including filing all personnel actions with Ulster County Civil Service.
- Assumes responsibility for the maintenance of computers and the automation system.
- Applies for and administers grants.
- Administers the expenditures of library funds and the collection of library revenues.
- Recommends new services, policies, and personnel actions to the Board of Trustees.
- Recommends appointments, transfers, promotions and dismissals.
- Supervises the work of library employees.
- Conducts staff training meetings.
- Performs annual performance evaluations on all employees.
- Administers the purchase of library materials.
- Prepares state, local, and other statistical narrative reports as needed or required.
- Oversees collection development.
- Assumes responsibility for the development and maintenance of the local history collection.
- Creates relevant reports through the library systems ILS.
- Conducts studies and analysis of library operations.
- Oversees cash handling.
- Ensure that the building and grounds are properly maintained.
- Designs and produces public relations and library instruction materials.
- Represents the library before governmental agencies and community groups.
- Supervises the maintenance of library property and recommends repairs, alterations, and new construction.
- Keeps informed of professional developments through participation in professional organizations, system meetings, workshops, continuing education courses, and reading professional materials.
Previous experience in library management.
High proficiency with library computer technology and electronic resources.
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
Experience working with volunteers and Friends group and a Board of Trustees.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Masters Degree in Library Science and two (2) years of professional full-time, or its’ part-time equivalent, experience in a library of recognized standing.
Special Requirement: Possession of a New York State Public Librarian’s professional certificate at time of appointment.
Please email resume and cover letter to John Remington, President of the Saugerties Public Library Board of Trustees, email@example.com
Deadline: September 8, 2019