Job Description - Senior Library Assistant /Circulation Technician - Evenings & Weekends
The Senior Library Assistant/Circulation Technician is responsible for the supervision and closing procedures of the library facility and services and operations during evening and weekend hours when librarians are off duty. Reporting to the Library Director, the Senior Library Assistant provides assistance to patrons in circulation desk services. Strong computer skills required, including proficiency with Microsoft Office and Excel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Understands and operates the circulation functions of the integrated library system (ILS).
- Performs circulation desk duties including charging and discharging library and reserve materials.
- Handles phone calls to circulation desk.
- Supervises shelving of books and other library resources and assists as needed.
- Helps train and supervise student workers.
- Answers routine inquiries and directional questions from students, faculty and staff and visitors who utilize the library, and refers patrons requiring professional assistance to a librarian.
- Assists patrons in the use of public computers, photocopy machines and microform equipment, providing basic instruction to users if necessary.
- Learns new technologies as needed, and trouble shoots minor software and hardware problems.
- Works on special projects as assigned by the Library Director.
- Processes library materials.
- On occasion lifts items weighing up to 35 pounds such as files, stacks of paper, reference and other materials.
- Performs Sunday opening and closing procedures as well as evening closing procedures.
- College Degree preferred
- One-to-two years of library experience
- Familiarity and experience working with an integrated library system helpful.
- Knowledge of Dewey Decimal system used in libraries helpful.
- Judgment, competence and maturity required to be in-charge of library when librarians are off duty.