Assistant Library Director – Poughkeepsie Public Library District: The Assistant Library Director for Branch and Outreach Services reports to the Library Director and is responsible for directing the day-to-day operations of the Boardman Road Branch Library and the Library District’s bookmobile service.
In addition, the Assistant Director serves as part of the Library District’s Administrative Council, actively participating in strategic planning including Library District public programming, problem-solving, policy development and resource allocation; serves as a liaison between the Friends of the Poughkeepsie Public Library District and the Library District as well as leading District-wide initiatives; and represents the Library in the community through a coordinated engagement plan established by the Library District.
Qualifications: Candidates must meet minimum qualifications for Assistant Library Director II which includes:
· ALA MLS recognized by the NYS Department of Education,
· Minimum of four (4) years professional library experience, one (1) of which must be in an administrative or supervisory capacity
· Eligibility for a NYS Public Librarian’s Professional Certificate at the time of application for appointment; possession of certificate at time of appointment, and
· Ability to work a flexible schedule to include early mornings, evenings, and weekends
This is a Civil Service appointment, requiring the candidate to be reachable on the Assistant Library Director II Certification of Eligibles list as established by the Dutchess County Department of Human Resources. There is no current list.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Personal Characteristics: In addition to the above minimum qualifications, the Library District seeks an individual with the following attributes:
· Demonstrated record of success serving patrons,
· A desire for civic engagement with the local community and a passion to bring the Library District’s mission and vision outside the building and to the community at large,
· Leadership and a willingness to actively participate in the Library District’s management team,
· Willingness to participate in state and national library organizations,
· Ability to effectively use library data to analyze Library District operations to effect positive change, as needed,
· Willingness to work with the Library Director in the development of Library District policies and procedures as well as service plan implementation, and
· Ability to represent the Library District at local events.
About the Poughkeepsie Public Library District: The Library District (www.poklib.org) is an independent special library district serving the residents and businesses of the City and Town of Poughkeepsie with a chartered population of 75,000 and an annual budget of $9.3 million. Having recently completed a $22 million capital improvement plan, the organizational focus will now shift to ongoing service evaluation and development as well as continued community engagement.
Compensation: This is a Civil Service appointment but is not represented by CSEA. Hiring salary range will be $80,000 - $85,000. 35 hour work week. Standard benefit package applies including medical and NYS Retirement System pension plan. Other benefits may be elected. Standard leave package applies.
To Apply: Interest candidates should apply by December 1, 2020 with cover letter and resume via email to Library Director Tom Lawrence at email@example.com. All applications will kept confidential. References will be requested of finalists, only. More detailed job posting can be found at https://poklib.org/your-library/about-us/employment-opportunities/.