The Ramapo Catskill Library System (RCLS), located in Middletown, New York, seeks proposals from expert library catalogers or organizations that act as independent contractors. The work to be performed as part of this contract includes developing original catalog records in USMARC (US Machine Readable Cataloging) format according to AACR2 (Anglo American Cataloging Tools) and RDA (Resource Description and Access) rules on an as-needed basis.
We are looking for an approximately 10 hours per week proposal from an individual or organization with a cataloging background. The work scope will be done independently in a remote environment working closely with the RCLS Executive Director.
Interested parties' proposal should include the following scope, methods, and deliverables:
- The time frame in which an original full MARC record for physical materials will be delivered to RCLS. Examples of materials to be cataloged include self-published monographs, DVDs, CDs, audiobooks, and foreign language materials (mainly, but not limited to, Hebrew / Yiddish and Korean language items).
- The time frame in which an original full MARC bibliographical record for an online resource will be delivered to RCLS.
- The preferred method for delivery of RCLS items in need of cataloging.
- Resume or proof of cataloging experience.
- Consultant fee.
- The process by which a monthly report of activities, including the time-worked, will be submitted to the RCLS Executive Director.
- Desired billing and communication procedures.
To perform the scope of work, the independent Contractor will have access to the following equipment, and other resources at RCLS's site or under RCLS's control:
- A computer for an independent Contractor to use will be provided.
- VPN access to the ILS.
- Log in credentials for the ILS.
- Information needed to accomplished the creation of the MARC records. This includes access to individual materials and the use of CatExpress.
- Use of RDA Toolkit.
- An RCLS email address, if needed.
Please email the proposal to Grace Riario, email@example.com, by December 4, 2020.
Please note in the subject line: Independent Contractor.