Library Director, Hyde Park Library
The Hyde Park Library is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Library Director.
The Hyde Park Free Library is a historic library built by Sara Roosevelt, mother of FDR, in honor of her husband, James. This history is an important cornerstone of our library mission and work. Community involvement and service are essential components of the library which delivers all aspects of library service, including circulation, information, programming and technical assistance to our community. Reporting directly to the Board of Trustees, the Director is responsible for overseeing all aspects of Library operations. Community connections are a priority and the incoming director will carry on this work.
Minimum Qualifications: Master of Library Science or Master of Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited program required and 2 years of progressively responsible library administrative experience preferred. Experience should include a broad background in management, administration and human resources, operations, fundraising and finance, as well as knowledge of library services, operations and collections. Civil Service requirements for Library Director I are the minimum requirements.
Salary :Starting at $60,000, it will be commensurate with experience. Benefits are included.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Responsible for administering the safe and efficient operation of the Hyde Park Library, its programs and services, in compliance with all applicable laws, and policies and decisions of the Board;
- Oversee continuous development of relevant library materials and services; responsible for the development of the Library's collections in coordination with select staff;
- Plan and implement programs and services for patrons of all ages in collaboration with library staff and volunteers; with a focus on developing increased electronic programming and resources;
- Involvement in and implementation of the Library’s Long-Range Plan;
- Exhibit a high level of administrative and supervisory skills including: recruiting and training of employees, supporting the continued training and development of staff members; balancing multiple priorities; administering personnel policies; preparing performance evaluations of staff members; record keeping; grant writing and preparing the annual budget, state and local reports; and works with the office manager and treasurer on reporting to the board;
- Work closely with the President of the Board of Trustees and other board and community members on committees and work projects, including our current renovation project and upcoming capital campaign and building project;
- Possess exceptional interpersonal, written and oral communication skills;
- Exercise considerable professional skill, initiative and good judgment, and the ability to establish effective working relationships with staff, volunteers, the public and the Library Board to promote the library as an integral and vital component of the wider community;
- Strong computer skills: knowledge of databases, spreadsheet and word processing software, and library system software such as Sierra (or its equivatent);
- Fluency with current and emerging technologies and their application(s) in a library setting.
The Hyde Park Library is a Special District Library and as such follows Civil Service regulations for hiring. Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to: Hyde Park Library 2 Main St. Hyde Park, NY 12538 Attn: Lynn Ruggiero President of the Board of Trustees. The applications will be reviewed starting March 1, 2021.