Museum Village is a living history museum preserving a vast collection of eclectic, 19th century artifacts for educational purposes. Using these artifacts and reproductions, we provide hands-on experiences and exhibits illustrating the transition from a rural to an industrial culture and economy in America, provoking thought and discussion about history.
The Museum Collections Manager at Museum Village, along with the Executive Director and management consultation, is responsible for the overall care and protection of the individual artifacts and collection.
Generally hours are Monday - Friday, 10:00AM - 3:00PM with occasional weekends and/or evening for special events. Hours can be flexible.
Reports to: Michael Sosler, Executive Director
- With oversight from the Executive Director, Manage the artifacts, collections and inventory database (currently PastPerfect).
- In coordination with museum management, Plan, Manage and Maintain building exhibits and displays. Schedule a proper rotation of exhibits to ensure, and to continue, to pique visitor interest.
- In coordination with museum management, Plan and Maintain proper artifact conservation and storage
- Coordinate On-line Artifacts through SENYLRC/NYHeritage
- Plan and Maintain a standard labeling and signage system in coordination with museum management
- Manage & Schedule Collections Volunteers
- Preferred Bachelor’s degree in related area
- Preferred experience working in a museum environment
- Knowledge and experience working for a not-for-profit organization
- Experience handling and moving artifacts Excellent research skills to describe the artifacts and exhibit
- Knowledge and awareness of conservation plans and methods
- Basic knowledge of carpentry skills to assist in preparing exhibits
- Ability to lift and move 50 - 60 lbs
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work with a diverse array of people
- Willingness and desire to train and grow in collections care
- Willingness to train in disaster preparedness
- Weekend & Evening availability as required
To Apply: Submit a resume and cover letter via email to: Michael Sosler, Executive Director: firstname.lastname@example.org