The Library District seeks an individual to join the Library District’s management staff as Head of Borrower & Technical Services.
The position is responsible for the overall management of clerical staff who perform circulation and technical services functions. Management of this large department and its varied responsibilities is assisted by two Supervising Library Clerks as well as a Library Assistant. The selected candidate will assist with staffing the Reference & Information Desk and will participate in collection development tasks.
Qualifications: Candidates must meet these minimum qualifications:
- ALA MLS recognized by the NYS Department of Education,
- Minimum of two (2) years professional library experience subsequent to the MLS
- Eligibility for a NYS Public Librarian’s Professional Certificate at the time of application for appointment; possession of certificate at time of appointment
This is a Civil Service appointment. For permanent appointment, the selected candidate will serve a probationary period of up to six (6) months and must be reachable on an appropriate Civil Service List of Eligibles, once the examination is given and the List established.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Personal Characteristics: In addition to the above minimum qualifications, the Library District seeks an individual with the following attributes:
- A desire for civic engagement with the local community and interests and a passion to bring the Library District’s mission and vision outside the building and to the community at large,
- Thorough knowledge of Innovative’s Sierra system preferred but not required,
- Leadership and a willingness to actively support the Library District’s management team,
- Thorough understanding of contemporary public library standards and practices,
- Ability to effectively work with a diverse staff serving a diverse population
- Willingness to participate in state and national library organizations
- Ability to effectively use library data to analyze Library District operations to effect positive change, as needed
- Willingness to work with the other managers in the development of Library District policies and procedures as well as service plan implementation
About the Poughkeepsie Public Library District: The Library District (www.poklib.org) is an independent special library district serving the residents and businesses of the City and Town of Poughkeepsie with a chartered population of 75,000 and an annual budget of $9.5 million. The Library District operates the Adriance Memorial Library and the Boardman Road Branch Library along with a bookmobile service. In 2022, a new branch library will open at the Family Partnership Center in the City of Poughkeepsie.
Compensation: This is a Civil Service, represented appointment with the annual salary determined by collective bargaining. Current minimum salary upon appointment will be $59,192 (Step 1), depending on experience and qualifications. 35 hour work week. Standard benefit package applies including medical and NYS Retirement System pension plan. Other benefits may be elected. Standard leave package applies.
To Apply: Interest candidates should apply with cover letter and resume via email to Library Director Tom Lawrence at email@example.com. All applications will kept confidential. References will be requested of finalists, only.