About The Library
Located in a beautiful new building in the center of the historic Village of Wurtsboro, the Mamakating Library is known for its collaborative culture and strong spirit of volunteerism. At our library, the best part of our organization is our people.
The Library is a special district library and a member of the Ramapo Catskill Library System (RCLS) serving a diverse community of patrons. The library is within a community with an expansive trail system and a growing ecotourism economy in the lower Catskill Mountains. The successful candidate will collaborate with 8 employees and 7 board members, administer a budget of $360,000 and expand library services in the community.
Mamakating Library is dedicated to supporting education and community engagement for all ages through programs and events, building a community of readers, empowering individuals with free access to information, and connecting people to community resources.
The Board of Trustees is seeking an experienced and innovative Library Director to be the face of the library as we drive forward with our community engagement and sustainability initiatives. As the director of the Mamakating Library, you will work in partnership with a Board and staff who are passionate about their work. The successful candidate will possess excellent leadership and communication skills and have a strong desire to connect meaningfully with the community, staff and Trustees.
The Director of the Mamakating Library must meet the Sullivan County civil service requirements for a Library Director. Minimum qualifications include:
- Possession of a Master's Degree in Library Science (MLS), Master of Science in Information Science (MSIS) or other graduate library degree from a library school that is accredited by the American Library Association or recognized by the New York State Education Department as following acceptable educational practices, and
- Two (2) years of professional library experience in a library of recognized standing, in an administrative or supervisory capacity.
- Experience must have been attained after either: receipt of the certification; or receipt of a Master’s Degree from a library school that is accredited by the American Library Association or recognized by the New York State Education Department as following acceptable educational practices; and
- Possession of a valid New York State Librarian’s Professional Certificate
Highly qualified candidates will have
- leadership and management experience in a public library system
- a hands-on mindset
- a passion for community engagement and sustainability
- a willingness to develop and facilitate programs
- an ability to lead the library through the Sustainable Libraries certification process
Starting salary is $64,000, commensurate with experience, and excellent benefits package.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references no later than August 19, 2022 to Patricia Andersen, Board President email@example.com In the subject line, please include “Library Director Position.”
This position will be provisional until the completion of Sullivan County Civil service requirements.