Come join the friendliest library in Rockland County!
Valley Cottage Library, located in a nearby suburb of NYC, is a renowned community resource serving the 23,000 residents of the Nyack School District. We are seeking a highly motivated, enthusiastic, and forward-thinking individual to join our vibrant Children’s Services Department.
The ideal candidate will be a community-focused individual with a passion for public service, knowledge of children’s literature, and a love for promoting reading and learning to children of all ages.
This is a full-time position (35 hours per week) reporting to the Head of Children’s Services.
- MLIS (or equivalent) from an ALA accredited program.
- Ability to obtain a NYS Public Librarian Certificate.
- Ability to work with diverse people of all ages, including staff, volunteers and the public.
- Ability to apply, enhance and promote new technology services of the department and the library. Candidate must adapt readily to changing software, programs and processes.
- Mastery of Microsoft Office programs and all digital platforms relevant to library service.
- Spanish-fluent applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Collection development within defined collections of children’s material in multiple formats, including selection, maintenance, and promotion of collections through visually appealing displays.
- Developing and implementing children’s programming, including story times, STEAM programs, and book discussions.
- Assisting with creation and implementation of a summer reading program using the NYS Summer Reading Program theme.
- Collaborating with local schools and community organizations and building partnerships to expand the reach of Library services throughout our chartered service area.
- Providing reference services and reader’s advisory to patrons of all ages.
- The ability to think differently and find opportunities for fun in the library.
- The ability to innovate and execute new ideas for library service to children birth through grade 5 and their families.
- Attend continuing education programs and workshops suitable to professional growth.
The Children’s Services Librarian is expected to work one evening per week and one Saturday per month. A generous benefits package includes medical, vision and dental insurance, flexible spending account, paid vacation and sick leave, and participation in a 403B matching plan. Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
If you possess a passion to work in a team-based and customer-focused environment that strives to provide excellent services to the community apply now!
A completed employment application is required and can be obtained at www.valleycottagelibrary.org under ‘About >Jobs at VCL’. Please email the completed application, a resume and a cover letter highlighting your experience to the attention of Ashley Maraffino, Assistant Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be accepted until September 30, 2022.
No telephone calls please.
Valley Cottage Library is an equal opportunity employer.